Under 15's - Match centre

Haywards Heath
Horsham Rugby Club
Sun 29 Jan 11:00 - League Full time

Horsham U'15s v Haywards Heath

Horsham RUFC U15's scrape a much needed victory against a powerful Haywards Heath


Horsham needed to win if they were to have any chance to make it to
the Sussex final and straight from the kick-off it looked promising.
They were dominating possession in the forwards and Liam McGivern was
making quick breaks in the backs. However promising Horsham looked, it
was Haywards Heath who broke the deadlock but their try was not

Horsham bounced back and almost scored straight away when man of the match Matt Streeter ran from inside his own half and passed to Aaron Pyzer just
before getting tackled. Sadly Pyzer could not gather and knocked it on,
but this counter attack showed that a Horsham try was coming. Horsham were now on Haywards Heath's 22 metre line. Heath had won their own scrum but
the fly half could not clear the ball away because of great pressure by Horsham #8 Sean Richardson. When he did attempt to get the ball clear, his team-mates were offside and a penalty was awarded to Horsham just short of Heath's try line. The penalty was taken quickly which caught the Heath defence off guard and allowed Prop Max Howell to crash over the line. The try was converted and the score stayed 5-7 to Horsham until half time.

Haywards Heath piled pressure on the Horsham pack from the restart and
managed to batter their way over the try line for another try but yet
again could not convert so the score was 10-7. The rest of the second
half was played mostly on the half way line with neither team
dominating down the middle and only occasional breaks from the backs.

Horsham U15's v Haywards Heath 29.01.12
53 photos

Haywards Heath managed to score a drop-goal out of nothing which pushed
them three points further into the lead. With only five minutes left
Horsham came fighting back fiercely and pinned Heath down in their own
half. The fly half tried to clear but the kick fell to fullback Matt
Streeter who side-stepped two players and offloaded to Liam McGivern
who ran through the opposition's fullback and scored under the posts.
This try was converted and Horsham were leading 13-14 with only seconds
to go. Heath could not beat the desperate defending by Horsham and as
Sam Holden kicked the ball out of play, the whistle went and the
players rejoiced as their efforts were rewarded. Final score was 13-14
to Horsham!

Match report by Matt Streeter


Videos and photos

Horsham U15's v Haywards Heath 29.01.12
53 photos

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.


Loading comments


Club sponsors